Tech Club Reflection for 11/27
I felt like things went really smoothly this week. We executed a similar lesson plan to last week. After 10 minutes of Dance Mat Typing, we read the students a real-life story about a tornado in southern Minnesota from the website we are using which is Web Weather for Kids: http://eo.ucar.edu/webweather/. I am from southern Minnesota, so it was fun for me to read this story to the students and share with them some of my scary tornado moments and ask if they had any. Growing up in Bozeman, most kids did not have tornado stories. However, our discussion questions prompted students to think about what to do in the case of a tornado, and students had a lot to contribute to that conversation. After reading and discussing the story, the students opened Word and wrote a sentence about something they learned or found interesting.
Overall, it was a good lesson. But, as often happens, time became an issue. In the past, we didn't give the students enough time to type because we didn't realize how much time they would need. This time, things got started late so everything was pushed back 5 minutes or so and we didn't keep an eye on the clock well enough to successfully manage it. Had I realize how behind we were, I could had skipped certain aspects of the story and discussion so that students could spend more time typing. Modifying lessons due to unpredicted issues or time constraints is something I'll have to work on in my future work in schools.
No comments:
Post a Comment